* 800g roughly chopped mushrooms or button mushrooms
* 1 Cup/300ml Water or Vegetable Stock
* 2 Small white onions finely chopped
* 2 Teaspoons Ginger Puree
* 2 Teaspoons Garlic Puree
* 200g Butter Ghee
* 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
* 4 Teaspoons Mild Curry Powder
* 8 Teaspoons Chilli Powder
* 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
* 1 Teaspoon whole Sizzling Seeds
* 4 Dried Naga chillies Crushed in a plastic food bag
* 100ml Natural Yogurt
* 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
* 2 Tablespoons Tomato Puree
* 200ml Pureed Onion
* Slices of fresh Habanero or Scotch Bonnet Chillies (or Fresh nagas if you can get them) to garnish
Cooking Method for Mushroom Naga Phall
To make the Onion Puree, bring a small pan of water to the boil and add some chopped onions. Boil until soft, drain and puree with a hand blender or in a food processor. Freeze any extra you make for next time.
Pour the oil into a large saucepan bring up to a high heat. Add the whole seeds and cook until they sizzle and crackle then add the chopped onions and reduce the heat to low. You can optionally add 1 or 2 Whole Star Anise which help bring out the sweetness of the onions and imparts a subtle aniseed flavour but remove them once the onions are cooked. Cook the onions gently and slowly until they turn a golden brown colour.
Make a paste of the ginger puree, garlic puree, curry powder, Turmeric powder, Chilli powder, with a little water. Add to saucepan and stir in well and fry for a couple of minutes.
Now add your 800g roughly chopped mushrooms or button mushrooms stir in well.
Sprinkle in the crushed Naga chillies careful not to touch with your hands directly
Mix the Yogurt, Chopped Tomatoes, Tomato Puree, Onion Puree, together in a jug with the water or stock and pour into the saucepan and mix in well. Turn up the heat until the sauce begins to simmer and leave to simmer for 10 Minutes. Stir occasionally.
Finally sprinkle in the Garam masala and stir in well for the final 2 minutes of cooking. Garnish with the Slices of fresh Habanero or Scotch Bonnet Chillies (or Fresh nagas if you can get them) and serve.