* 800g Potatoes. Cut into 2-3cm pieces. Par-Boiled in salted water and drained.
* 1 Cup/300ml Water or Vegetable Stock
* 2 Small white onions finely chopped
* 2 Teaspoons Ginger Puree
* 2 Teaspoons Garlic Puree
* 200g Butter Ghee
* 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
* 4 Teaspoons Mild Curry Powder
* 4 Teaspoons Chilli Powder
* 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
* 1 Teaspoon whole Sizzling Seeds
* 12 Green Finger Chillies sliced in half
* 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
* 2 Tablespoons Tomato Puree
* Roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves to garnish
Cooking Method for Potato Aloo Jalfrazi
Pour the oil into a large saucepan bring up to a high heat. Add the whole seeds and cook until they sizzle and crackle then add the chopped onions and reduce the heat to low. You can optionally add 1 or 2 Whole Star Anise which help bring out the sweetness of the onions and imparts a subtle aniseed flavour but remove them once the onions are cooked. Cook the onions gently and slowly until they turn a golden brown colour.
Make a paste of the ginger puree, garlic puree, curry powder, Turmeric powder, Chilli powder, with a little water. Add to saucepan and stir in well and fry for a couple of minutes.
Now add your 800g Potatoes. Cut into 2-3cm pieces. Par-Boiled in salted water and drained. stir in well.
Add the fresh chillies
Mix the Chopped Tomatoes, Tomato Puree, together in a jug with the water or stock and pour into the saucepan and mix in well. Turn up the heat until the sauce begins to simmer and leave to simmer for 10-20 Minutes until potatoes are just cooked through. Check that a skewer will go through. Stir occasionally.
Finally sprinkle in the Garam masala and stir in well for the final 2 minutes of cooking. Garnish with the Roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve.